Thursday, October 7, 2010

Bumpy Surgery


So we have lovingly referred to Julia as our "Bumpy Head" or "Bumpsters" for quite some time now. The day I brought her home from the hospital, I noticed a bump on the left side of her head. I thought it was maybe because she got a little squished on the way out or something- I didn't know. My pediatrician told me not to worry about it, so I didn't. Finally like when Julia turned a year old, she kept telling me to go see a neurosurgeon- so we did. Turns out, it was a bone cyst and needed to be removed. If we waited until later it would continue to grow and actually leave a hole in her head, unless we did it while she was small. Today was surgery day. It went really well, but seeing your daughter be wheeled off to be put under and sliced open is heartbreaking. When she woke, the bump was gone, and she was out of her mind. She was super agitated and REFUSED to leave her IV in her hand. Luckily, she finally came to her senses, and we were able to go home about 6 hours after getting there. She was actually really funny today, and by the end of the day was just playing her little heart out, like she never missed a beat! It was a pretty sad day, but some day she'll thank me for not having a bumpy head- or worse yet, a holey head. So glad it all went well today.