
Today, I decided to vote in the primary elections. It was my first time voting in the primaries... I love to vote- I always feel so empowered, like I am actually making a difference. I grew up with a super political Dad, and it rubbed off on me. I married someone who is even more into politics than I am, and would talk about it all day long if I let him. I love it. It is super important to me to know what is happening in my country and to be informed. Dorky, I know.
So yesterday, at 6:00pm (polls closed at 7) I went to go sign in and get my ballot. "Rachel Glenn? Umm... we don't have your name anywhere..." As they flip through folders and folders of registered voters. "Are you sure you registered to vote?" Now the worker has called over 3 other ladies and they are all trying desperately to find my name somewhere... "Um yeah," I say, "I just voted for the Mayor a few months ago." "Well, step aside and we'll try to figure this out." I start walking to another lady they pointed out to me, like my name might magically appear in her folder somehow. No luck. Finally, some other volunteer lady shouts out from across the room, "Ummm...... could you be a....... Republican?" All the women turn and look at me... "Well, are you?" Haha like its some kind of disease I have that she might catch from me. "Yep! I sure am!" Oh, and look at that, my name is right there in that little blue folder. "Rachel Glenn" must have been the first Republican they saw there all day.
Even though my political party has a 750,000 voter disadvantage in the state, we came through at the polls 1.25 million to 909,000 Dems so I must not have been the only Republican voting yesterday! Always good to know I'm not the only one infected...