Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Introducing... Julia Leighton Glenn!

Well, she's finally here! After nine long months, baby Julia has made it here safely! Early Sunday morning (4:45am) my water broke. I hadn't had any contractions so I was kind of in shock when it broke! I called Mom and she immediately got on the next flight. We left for the hospital, and were quickly admitted. (I think they were in a hurry to get me out of their hallway since I had a big puddle of lovely amniotic fluid puddling up on their floor.) After that, it was a big long waiting game. I was dilated to a 2, and sat there for five hours and nothing happened. The doctor was worried since my water had already broke about an infection, so we started Pitocin to speed things up. Oh my goodness did the contractions start! I stuck it out for a few hours, until a phone call from Melissa encouraged me to stop trying to be a hero. Holy smokes thanks for epidurals!!! I don't know how women do it naturally. After lots more waiting and worrying (baby's heart beat kept dropping so I was put on oxygen) at about 5:30pm I was told that I was finally effaced. I was told I could wait a little bit longer to start pushing, or I could push right then. I was so scared at this point- Brian was such a good support, but I was hoping that my mom would make it. I decided to wait. Oh my mistake. Shortly after, I was in a whole lot of pain- even with the epidural. The contractions were killing me, and I felt like I had to push so bad. The doctor came in, and told me that there was an emergency C-section she had to deliver and asked if I could wait. Wait?!!!? Oh my goodness, the next half hour was the longest of my life. By the time she came back, I couldn't wait to start pushing. After about an hour and a half (with Brian right by my side- I couldn't have asked for a better coach) little Julia came screaming her way into the world (7:23pm). It was such an amazing experience... one I will never forget every little detail of. It was so amazing to see her healthy beautiful little face, I didn't even care that on a scale ranking to a 4, I ripped at a level 3. I was just so happy to have her here. Mom got there an hour later and I was so glad she finally made it. She is staying for the week, and it already makes me cry when I think about her going home. I'm so scared! I know it will all be okay, but this having a baby stuff is hard! I know I will catch on eventually. She is such a big baby (9 pounder!) It's hard to keep that tummy full. Everything has been all so worth it though- it's absolutely incredible the love that you immediately have for this little infant... I just couldn't ask for anything more. She is perfect, and we are so happy to have her here!